Oftentimes people say I am on a crazy diet. Yeah I suppose when compared to the modern and standard Western diet it’s a little crazy. Okay, more like FAR OUT. But when dealing with chronic health problems, there is something we should all be doing and that is changing our diet to be as anti-inflammatory as possible which in turn enables our bodies to start the healing process. I know, crazy, crazy, BUT it’s for our own good….and well-being…..and longevity, right?! The greatest medicine of all is to teach people how not to need it.
My personal list of foods that I am sensitive to:
Gluten, Dairy, Yeast, Coffee, Sesame, Sorghum, Millet, Hemp, Amaranth, Tapioca, Teff, Soy, Egg, Rice, Potato, Oats, Corn
What is the basic Paleo diet? And then what is the AIP (Autoimmune Paleo or Autoimmune Protocol)?
It is crucial to completely AVOID the following at all costs:
- Refined Sugars
- Modern vegetable oils
- Processed food chemicals
AUTOIMMUNE PALEO— (To be followed with anyone suffering autoimmunity of any kind IN ADDITION TO what is avoided on basic paleo)
- Seeds (including cocoa, coffee)
- Nightshades (including tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers, chilis)
- All cooking spices derived from seeds and nightshades
- NSAIDS (like aspirin, ibuprofen)
- Sweeteners (like stevia) or any other food additives at all
With that said, the following is “my diet plan” that my nutritionist has given me:
- Organ meat (such as liver, kidney, and heart) from grass-fed or pastured animals (Daily)
- Homemade bone broth (Daily)
- Wild fish, especially salmon (At least 3 times per week)
- Vegetables, vegetables, vegetables! (At EVERY meal…all kinds except nightshades which are listed above)
- Quality meats (grass-fed, pasture-raised) (At EVERY meal) *Poultry in moderation
- Quality fats (animal fats, fatty fish, coconut, olive, avocado) – includes oils such as coconut oil, olive oil
- Fruit (less than 20 grams daily) *Berries are best…blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries
My plate is to have 25% protein and 75% vegetables at every meal – breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Well, vegetables are basically unlimited as to the amount I should eat. It is important for my body for me to eat 3 main meals a day and not really snack in between. Everything should be organic as much as possible to avoid any unwanted toxins which contributes to inflammation.
To lots of people this diet seems extremely restrictive. I must say that I agreed at first but as time went on my body started to feel better and better. When I started FEELING better, I stopped looking at what I could no longer eat but instead what I CAN eat. This has made all the difference.
Also remember that the AIP is not meant to be long term although it can be if it’s what makes you feel best. The goal is to slowly reintroduce foods that are allowed on the basic paleo diet. Every single one of us is different and we react to different foods in different ways. There may be some foods you may never reintroduce back into your diet and others that your body will become to tolerate after doing the AIP for a period of time. I recommend anyone out there to eat at least the basic paleo diet even if you are not sick because you never know when sickness will catch up with you. It’s a surefire way to decrease any inflammation that may be in your body and will help to actually prevent disease.